Here’s another one of my family’s favorite cookies. And newly, mine as well. These cookies are my idea of baked perfection. Simple to make and deliciously light. This cookie is a softer cookie, a chewy oatmeal cookie that is only slightly sweet, one with a delicate coconut and orange flavors and plenty of crunchy walnuts, one that is absolutely scrumptious and highly addictive!! A great cookie, a cookie with character, one I love!
This probably the second ever cookie that I can truly say took my fancy. The first being goji berry quinoa breakfast cookies which are a guiltless pleasure. When I make a batch of these, I keep them bagged in the freezer and just take out what I need the night before (or even in morning before I head to work). I really love them served warm, right out of the oven, so sometimes I even pop them in the oven just to heat them up a little. So good!
When it comes to baking, for me, it has to be quick and simple. I have friends that absolutely love to bake. They can spend the entire day in the kitchen kneading, rolling, rolling and kneading and whatever else it is they do. It reminds me of those who also find cleaning therapeutic…like meditation. Seriously? No way. My favorite Schwabe does the cleaning….and the laundry. I on the other hand would rather pay for such a valued service. But as my dearest Schwabe reminds me, he has already saved 22.000€ (and counting) by cleaning the apartment himself. Bless him.
And he is of course, rewarded with absolutely delicious oatmeal cookies. :)
TIP: When baking these oatmeal cookies, take care that when you take them out of the oven, they are just lightly browned around the edges and still quite soft in the middle. As they cool, they’ll be a little crispy around the edges while staying moist and chewy in the middle.
Orange Oatmeal Cookies with Nuts and Coconut
Yields 1.5-2 dozen, depending on size
1 cup all-purpose flour (Type 550) (130 g)
1 cup fine-cut rolled oats (100 g)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature (113 g)
2/3 cup brown sugar (I use GEPA organic raw cane sugar Mascobado) (100 g)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (I used walnuts) (50 g)
4 tablespoons unsweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C. Grease or line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Stir well to blend.
3. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, orange juice, orange rind and egg together in a large bowl.
4. Add the flour mixture to creamed mixture. Mix well.
5. Stir in the nuts and coconut.
6. Drop by teaspoons a few centimeters apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let the oatmeal cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool.