My new favorite bread. A grain-free gluten-free roasted almond butter bread with banana, cacao nibs and unsweetened flaked coconut. First of all, what I think makes it so special is the homemade roasted almond butter. Which by the way, is super easy to make yourself.
Not only is homemade almond butter cheaper than the store-bought stuff, it also gives you greater control over the quality of almonds you’re eating. Almonds don’t need to be raw for making almond butter, but I do think it’s important that they’re organic. Plus Roasting adds amazing flavor AND it helps them release their oils faster when blended. Raw almonds can also be used, however you can expect the process to take a few minutes longer.
Since the ingredients are fairly straightforward—roasted almonds and coarse sea salt—let’s focus on the process. To start, you’ll need a high-speed blender with really sharp blades, then it only takes mere minutes to transform whole nuts into smooth and creamy nut butter.
Homemade Almond Butter
Yields 250 ml
Total time: up to 1 hour
300 g raw almonds
pinch of sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 275°F / 135°C.
2. Place the almonds in a single layer on a large baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
3. Roast for 45 minutes, shaking the nuts around a couple times during the process. When done, the almonds should have a nice roasted smell and flavor to them.
4. Allow the almonds to cool slightly (until they can be handled with your bare hands), then transfer them to your stand mixer.
5. Process for 1 minute using the pulse function, to break up the almonds, remove from stand mixer, scrape the sides and blend again on low for 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides a couple times.
6. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the nuts to further release their oils and then blend again on low until the almonds mixture become smooth and creamy and almost a thick liquid consistency. Sprinkle in a pinch of sea salt and blend again just enough for it to set in.
So now that you have your roasted almond butter sorted, you’re ready to get started with the bread. The bread itself is also super easy and quick to prepare. I’ve made it both with and without banana. Both versions are delicious. So enjoy this simple grain-free almond butter bread loaded with healthful fats, protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids!
Roasted Almond Butter Bread (Gluten-Free)
Yields 1 loaf
Total time: 55 minutes
coconut oil for greasing the pan
1 cup homemade roasted almond butter (alternatively use store bought) (250 ml)
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 large ripe banana, mashed
4 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup almond meal/flour (35 g)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons whole flaxseed
2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
TIP: If you choose to make the bread without banana, I recommend increasing the maple syrup to 2 tablespoons for a little extra moisture and sweetness. Both versions are super tasty! Almond meal can also be replaced with polenta (cornmeal) at the exact same ratio, if needed.
1. Preheat oven for 350°F / 175°C. Grease a 9 x 5″ loaf pan (23 x 13 cm) well with coconut oil.
2. Using a wooden spoon, mix together the almond butter, maple syrup, eggs and banana in a large bowl until smooth. Next add almond flour, salt, baking soda, flaxseeds, cacao nibs, and coconut; mix together until combined.
3. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepare loaf pan (garnish with more cacao nibs, if desired) and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
4. Take out of the oven once cooked and let cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely before slicing.
PS) For storing, I suggest using a bread box or plastic bread container. Any longer than 3-4 days, then it’s probably best to freeze it. Just slice the rest of the loaf and wrap each slice well, then place in the freezer. This way you can use one slice at a time!