I think you all are going to L O V E this roasted chickpea and sweet potato salad. It all starts with crisped cumin-spiced chickpeas and tender roasted sweet potatoes coated in spices and sesame seeds — all baked to perfection, with a flavor and texture that makes your mouth sing… oh yeah.
These two are then tossed in a chili-coriander-cumin dressing and paired up with fresh parsley and sweet red onion. Magical. I could have easily devoured a bowl of this all by myself. So I enjoyed it for lunch and continued to snack on it all day long! Meaning it’s great warm or at room temperature.
An easy roasted chickpea and sweet potato salad recipe that’s healthy, vegan and gluten-free
This salad is a screams flavor, proving that vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free diets don’t have to be boring. I instantly fell in love with this salad. You could divide this warm chickpea and sweet potato salad into two bowls for a perfect salad entrée. And if you are looking for something extra filling, then serve it with some crusty bread and a simple green salad (or go ahead and serve it on a bed of greens!). It also makes a delicious side dish for four.
If you make this roasted chickpea and sweet potato recipe, I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Be sure to rate it and leave a comment below to let me know! Especially if you have tips for other readers. Or take a picture and tag me on Instagram @ellerepublic and don’t foget to hashtag #ellerepublic so I don’t miss it!
To roast the chickpeas and sweet potatoes:
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 x 400 g can organic chickpeas
1 teaspoon ground cumin
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 large organic sweet potato, peeled and diced (ca. 400 g)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (for less spiciness, reduce to 1/8 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon paprika (sweet)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
To assemble the salad:
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder (mild)
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
finely grated zest of 1 organic lemon, plus freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 a lemon (or to taste)
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon nigella seeds (black cumin) (optional)
extra drizzle of olive oil (optional)
1. To roast the sweet potato and chickpeas: Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add chickpeas to a small mixing bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange on half of the prepared baking sheet.
3. In a second bowl, add the diced sweet potato and toss with the remaining olive oil, cayenne pepper, paprika, sesame seeds and a sprinkle of salt. Transfer to the other half of the baking sheet and arrange in a single layer.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven to toss chickpeas and sweet potatoes to ensure even cooking. Return to oven and cook for 10-15 minutes more, or until sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned.
5. In a serving bowl, add the cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk together to combine. Add the roasted chickpeas and sweet potato, then the red onion and parsley. Toss together until well combined.
6. Sprinkle with nigella seeds and drizzle with a little more olive oil, if desired.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
Toasting the nigella seeds brings helps release their oil which brings out more of their flavor. To do so, in a dry pan, lightly toast the nigella seeds over medium-low heat for two to three minutes, then sprinkle them over the roasted chickpea and sweet potato salad.
I buy Nigella seeds at my local organic food store however you can also find them online. They add a very subtle nut-like, peppery taste to dishes. To bring out this flavor dry roasting is recommended. Otherwise, they are beautiful seeds to use as garnish and for adding a little extra crunch.