I have to proudly say, that these are delightful muffins! They are moist, tender, delicate, and bursting with lemon flavor and poppy seeds. Absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!
These healthy muffins contain whole wheat flour, yogurt and very little sugar. I decided that half a cup of organic cane sugar divided by twelve muffins doesn’t amount to much, therefore isn’t worth worrying about. Right?
I had planned to make these using a combination of wholemeal spelt flour and whole wheat, but to my dismay, discovered in the process I was out — oooooh no! So instead these muffins are made with a combo of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Not sure I’d ever want to change that since these were sooooo delicious and relatively guilt-free. Loved them so much, they were gone within a day. Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Enjoy!
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Yields one dozen muffins
Dry Ingredients (Bowl 1):
1 cup all-purpose flour (type 550) (125 g)
1 cup whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour) (125 g)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla powder
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
Wet Ingredients (Bowl 2):
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup organic cane sugar (85 g)
1 cup Greek yogurt (full-fat) (225 g)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (1-2 organic lemons)
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line or grease a muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla and poppy seeds; stir until combined.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs and sugar until smooth. Mix in the yogurt, then add the lemon zest and juice. Stir until smooth and well combined.
4. Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients at a time and using a spatula, stir until just combined. Continue until all flour has been used. Do no over stir.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full and bake between 15-18 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
NOTE: If they don’t disappear before your eyes…store them in an airtight container once fully cooled.