Here’s a little secret: there are three things I really love – prosciutto, arugula and lemon! Put all three of them together and well…I’m experiencing a little bit of heaven. The saltiness of prosciutto and baby arugula with its mild, nutty, peppery taste team fabulously with zesty lemon. I’m generally not a fan of creamy sauces, or creamy soups for that matter, okay there are a few exceptions…but I usually prefer to make my pasta sauces using wine as base. Not only is it more calorie friendly, I think it’s an instant flavor booster. Plus I’m convinced that a few simple, high quality ingredients really make food great!
This pasta dish makes for a fabulously light and satisfying meal – zesty and fresh, it’s perfect for an easy and delicious weeknight dinner! Plus it couldn’t be easier — you can pull it together in as little time as it takes to cook the pasta. Plus the bonus is, it’s also an easy dinner for one. Just use less, of well, everything. All you need to do is prepare the sauce and toss it with the pasta and you’re there! Quick and delicious.
I use young arugula for this dish as it is less bitter and peppery than the more mature leaves. So try to look for baby arugula, if you can find it. Otherwise baby spinach also works great.
My pasta of choice was used Kamut penne — a type of pasta which I almost always use as it’s consistency is really not that different from a good quality durum wheat pasta but it is much higher in protein and minerals — especially zinc, magnesium and antioxidant rich selenium. This recipe also works well with a wider, flat pasta such as fettuccine or tagliatelle. Enjoy!
Pasta with Prosciutto and Arugula in a Lemon-Infused White Wine Sauce
400 g dried pasta of your choice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 shallots, diced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
12 slices prosciutto di Parma, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cup dry white wine (375 ml)
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
4 handfuls arugula, shredded
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan (20 g)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
fresh basil leaves, to serve (optional)
1. Fill the large pot with cold water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and add pasta, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking. Cook according to packet instructions, until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until aromatic. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp.
3. Add wine, and cook over high heat for 2 minutes, until reaches a boil and slightly reduces. Reduce heat to low and stir in lemon juice; simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in arugula and parsley.
4. Add the hot cooked pasta to prosciutto mixture; toss well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Divide among serving dishes. Sprinkle with the parmesan and basil to serve.