Roasted Cauliflower with Lentils. I guess you could call it a salad of sorts. A hearty vegan salad with a medley of flavors. First, cauliflower florets are roasted in the oven until the edges get all browned and caramelized and you get a nutty and buttery flavor. Sounds yummy, right? Yes, roasting transforms plain ole cauliflower into something so tasty. Then all this simple deliciousness is combined with beluga lentils, some fresh parsley, sweet red onion and toasted almonds and a flavorful lemon, dill, and caper vinaigrette.
Serve roasted cauliflower with lentils as a vegan salad or side dish
Roasted cauliflower with lentils is a versatile dish that can be served warm or a room temperature, as a salad or a side dish. You can even prep everything ahead of time if you want to save time on a weeknight. The lentils can be make the night before and stored in the fridge once cool. Even cauliflower can be roasted a day ahead. Roasting is the only time-consuming part of this recipe, everything else is whisked together and tossed in a flash. Easy peasy!
If you make this Roasted Cauliflower with Lentils and Lemon Dill Caper Vinaigrette recipe, I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Be sure to rate it and leave a comment below to let me know! Especially if you have tips for other readers. Or take a picture and tag me on Instagram @ellerepublic and don’t foget to hashtag #ellerepublic so I don’t miss it!
For the salad:
1 cup beluga lentils (200 g)
1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted (25 g)
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
For the lemon caper and dill vinaigrette:
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (from an organic lemon)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons capers (in brine), drained and chopped
1 teaspoon grainy Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried dill (1 teaspoon if using fresh dill)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F / 220°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cook the lentils according to package instructions. When done, remove from heat and drain if needed. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the lentils are cooking, roast the cauliflower: Place the cauliflower florets to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss to combine. Transfer to the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place in the preheated oven and roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned, depending on size of the florets. Toss the cauliflower on the sheet halfway through roasting time.
4. Meanwhile, place almonds in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Toast the slivered almonds, stirring often, until golden brown.
5. To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, zest, garlic, capers, mustard, dill and olive until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. In a served bowl, combine the cauliflower and lentils. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Toss gently. Add the red onion, toasted almonds and parsley. Toss again to combine. Serve and enjoy!
NOTE: this dish can be served warm or at room temperature (or even cold!). For serving at room temperature, transfer the lentils to the serving bowl to cool and allow the cauliflower to cool on the baking tray, before tossing together with the remaining ingredients.