Hello fellow green bean loving friends! If any of you have had to endure some a childhood of very mediocre limp green beans (or worst canned ones!), then I am telling you now, forget those days. Green beams done right are awesome. Of course, blanched, crisp-but-tender beans are fantastic in a salad, BUT if you want to make green beans the main event, then try roasting them! Together with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, some zest, fresh summer dill, sweet onions, pine nuts and parm — OMG a dream. And I dare say, as simple as this sounds, it’s a symphony of flavour! I could have devoured this all on my own.
Fall in love with fresh summer beans — and roasted green beans!
With summer here, green beans often make their way into my kitchen. But mostly in some sort of salad and sometimes a curry. I rarely do beans as a side dish and after this roasted green bean recipe I really have to wonder “why not”?! Big high-five on these ones. They are terrific served alongside anything coming off the grill, or as a simple dinner with some new potatoes or a serving of rice, your favourite fish, or even a couple other sides. Or be greedy and just eat the beans!
Fresh, in season, ingredients taste best
The best kind of beans you can get at local ones sold at the farmers market. So green, so fresh, so delicious! They taste like you just got them out of the garden. And if you really want to jazz things up you could celebrate summer’s bounty and make this salad with a mix of green and yellow beans.
Wondering what else to do with them? Well, here are three more delicious and healthy recipes featuring green beans that I really love:
Tasty green beans will add a burst of green goodness to any meal! So I hope you enjoy this simple roasted green bean recipe!
500-550 g green beans, washed, trimmed and dried
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
finely grated zest of 1 organic lemon
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 a medium red onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly roasted (25 g)
grated parmesan cheese, to garnish
1. Heat oven to 425° / 220° degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss beans with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread in single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Roast in oven for about 13-15 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time. The beans should have a bite to them but no longer taste raw.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the garlic with 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (less if using fine sea salt); add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
5. Transfer the beans to a serving bowl. Add the red onion and dill; pour over the dressing and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with more pepper and lemon juice if necessary. Scatter the pine nuts over and garnish with freshly grated parmesan. Serve hot or room temperature. Enjoy!
NOTES: Parmesan goes nicely with the roasted green beans, so feel free to toss some extra parmesan in with the beans before garnishing.
I almost always use a coarse sea salt for my recipes. I highly recommend 100% natural Marisol Flor de Sal from Portugal.
If you make this Roasted Green Beans with Lemon and Dill recipe, I’d love to hear how it turned out for you! Be sure to rate it and leave a comment below to let me know! Especially if you have tips for other readers. Or take a picture and tag me on Instagram @ellerepublic and don’t foget to hashtag #ellerepublic so I don’t miss it!