3 glorious tomato salads to celebrate tomatoes! Be sure to seek out the freshest, most fragrant tomatoes available, preferably sun-ripened on the vine, as they are incomparable in flavor. These salads, even in their simplicity, are absolutely delicious. Especially the Asian tomato salad – it has definite all star appeal!
ASIAN TOMATO SALAD
4 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into thin slices
3 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
juice from 1 lemon
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
dash of soya sauce
1/2 bunch of coriander, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
30 g freshly grated parmesan
1. In a small saucepan, add the mirin and over medium-high heat and reduce by half. (10-15 minutes). Add the lemon juice, a pinch of salt, soya sauce and mix together.
2. Add the sliced onion, chili pepper and coriander and combine; add the olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the tomatoes, slightly overlapping, on a serving platter.
3. Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and allow to stand for 20 minutes before serving.
4. Sprinkle the shaved parmesan on top prior to serving.
CHERRY TOMATO SALAD WITH ROSEMARY
300 g cherry tomatoes, cut in half
3 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped
freshly grated parmesan (40 g)
about 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
a dash of balsamic vinegar
sea salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, add tomatoes and rosemary. Mix together with the rosemary and olive oil.
2. Add the grated parmesan and toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
PINK GRAPEFRUIT TOMATO SALAD
4 heirloom tomatoes (or tomatoes of your choice, sweet cherry tomatoes work really well in this salad)
3 pink grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a medium bowl, add tomatoes and grapefruit. Mix together with the olive oil and toss gently to combine.